Opinion

Amazon MP3

So, I thought iTunes was good.

Amazon MP3 is, believe me, everything I wanted from a music download service. First and foremost - cheap! Second? Easy. Third? DRM-free. DRM might be a clever piece of math if you look at it that way but I knew from the first day I heard of it that we weren't going to have a cordial relationship. So, although I purchased a song from iTunes every now and then because it was so goddamn easy, I hated myself for it because I would later have to strip it of its DRM using Audio Hijack or some such painful means. Now, I can enjoy the music downloading to its fullest. The first song I bought from Amazon MP3 was Ah W Noss" by Nancy Ajram, and I have never been through a more painless and guilt-free purchase ever.

And I like a lot of Amazon's policies better. They would rather include some songs into their library than be haughty about their policies (whether they're good or bad is not the question!) and I think some of the pricing schemes (like more money for longer songs) make more sense. Also, you get non-personal-information-tagged MP3s for 99¢ instead of $1.29. It might not be a steal but it's definitely cheaper than competition. Go Amazon! Finally, Apple has some serious competition.

Oh, and they have the same Indian music collection as iTunes does. 

Comments (3) Posted on at  

  • » I don't like buying music with DRM, so I ususally stick to purchasing CDs. Since Amazon usually has the best CD prices, that's where I usually buy them. So when I checked out AmazonMP3 yesterday, they already had a ton of excellent mp3 recommendations based on my previous CD purchases.

    So in my mind, this is the best place to purchase music online.
  • » DRM may not be that bad if the inter-operability is increased.
  • » I don't care if DRM is good or bad because I don't want any of it. As far as I'm concerned, it's like saying "a road accident may not be bad".

News