Opinion

Automate iTunes Decryption?

Scenario: I occasionally get these "One free song" iTunes cards and I usually I have some song in mind that I want to buy off the iTunes Store but then I hate the whole authorization process because I switch computers with alarming frequency. So, I like to convert these songs to an unencrypted format like MP3. Now, Audio Hijack Pro will do that for you, except for the fact that it's manual and time-consuming and thus painful. What I'm looking for is a script or application of some sort that would take a playlist and convert them to MP3s automatically while I sleep.

So, I stumbled across this thing called Hijack Recorder which matched the description exactly. However, I am not impressed by its quality and lack of foolproofness and this is just throwing the question out there as to whether there is a better solution out there? 

Comments (5) Posted on at  

  • » I assume you have considered the workflow of burning to cd and re-importing...
  • » speaking about workflows and such... any plans on continou your excellent exposé of a certain big cat os, now that a new version have been seeded?
  • » @Chucky: Yes, of course, I have heard of that. But that's even more time-consuming and frustrating than Audio Hijack Pro and is definitely much more lossy.
  • » "But that's even more time-consuming and frustrating than Audio Hijack Pro and is definitely much more lossy."

    It may be more time consuming, but it's not any more lossy.

    The burning to CD is just a conversion to AIFF, which is no more lossy than hijacking the sound stream. The re-importation is the same level of lossy as any compression of the sound stream to mp3 would be.

    I'm reasonably confident that you should end up with identical quality mp3's whether you burn or hijack.

    Not that any of this helps solve your problem, of course...
  • » True

News